Thursday, February 19, 2009

NY Post in Trouble for Chimp Cartoon



I found it weird that many people were coming to my site by searching google for NY Post cartoons. I had posted one a month ago.

It turns out that there's a controversy. Seen to the left, the cartoon by Sean Delonas has outraged the black community, and has the ire of professional grievance artist Al Sharpton.

Honestly, what other interpretation of the cartoon can you have other than racist? I'm not one to over-analyze, but that's all I can see. The cops shot a chimp in Connecticut recently, who had mauled a woman. What does that have to do with the stimulus bill?

I love the NY Post as a fun paper, but their judgment lapsed big time on this one.

UPDATE: The Post apologizes, but not to Sharpton.

The piece was posted hours after 200 picketers chanting "Boycott the Post! Shut it down!" marched in front of the paper's office, saying the cartoon echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.

The editorial said that "most certainly was not its intent," adding that some media and public figures who have long-standing differences with the paper saw the cartoon "as an opportunity for payback."

Calling them "opportunists," the editorial said: "To them, no apology is due."

3 comments:

  1. To be honest, I didn't think it was racist. I took it to mean the stimulus bill was so poorly conceived a monkey could do it. It's not all that funny though. Perhaps a room full of dead monkeys (bureaucrats and lobbyists) would have been more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you're right. I was going by my gut level reaction. I showed it to my wife, and right away she thought the same thing.

    Sharpton is a fraud anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, the more I think about it, the more I see it. An out of control animal that had to be put down, like the stimulus bill.

    ReplyDelete