Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Concept Is Irony Grasshopper

David Carradine from the show Kung Fu passed away in Thailand, apparently from suicide.

I don't want to make light of the situation, but Kung Fu meant something to me. I didn't have a word for it at the time, but in hindsight it was irony.

It used to be the only thing on around 1 or 2am when I was in Grade 8 and 9. The show took itself very seriously, but I watched for comedic purposes. I wasn't the only one, and it became a cult club of people at school who watched. We would make Master and Grasshopper jokes and laugh uproariously.

Some people didn't get it and would say: "You watch that show? Geeze, it seems really silly."

To which you would reply: "Are you kidding me? It's not silly, it's profound." This would make Kung Fu cultists laugh harder.

Quentin Tarantino gave a nod to this in Pulp Fiction, with this exchange with a rattled Jules after surviving a shoot out:

Jules: I'll just walk the earth.
Vincent: What'cha mean walk the earth?
Jules: You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung
Fu."

Anyway, no disrespect to David Carradine. I enjoyed his work in my own way. He was a pop culture icon.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, what would Master Poe say?

    ReplyDelete